Re: [R-SIG-Mac] [Rd] R not running under lldb? (osx)

Re: [R-SIG-Mac] [Rd] R not running under lldb? (osx)

Simon Urbanek
Tim,

as a security precaution Apple has disabled the ability to debug notarized applications*. It means any software distributed on macOS Catalina (and they may have retro-actively enabled it for recent updates of Mojave) cannot be run in a debugger.

If you want to debug R, you have to use non-release binaries that are not notarized and install them by hand, e.g.:

curl -L http://mac.r-project.org/high-sierra/R-4.0-branch/x86_64/R-4.0-branch.tar.gz | tar fxz - -C /

Of course, this disables the Apple protections and thus is not recommended for casual users.

Cheers,
Simon

* - more technical details: Apple requires notarization of any application that will be distributed via an Apple installer. Apple no longer allows installation of macOS applications that are not notarized. In order to obtain notarization, the application has to be fully signed, has to use hardened run-time and may not enable debugging entitlements. One part of the hardened run-time is that no debugger is allowed to attach to the application.

> On 22/04/2020, at 8:59 AM, Tim Keitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I see:
>
> Tims-Air:~ tkeitt$ R --version
>
> R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29) -- "Holding the Windsock"
>
> Copyright (C) 2020 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
>

> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>
> You are welcome to redistribute it under the terms of the
>
> GNU General Public License versions 2 or 3.
>
> For more information about these matters see
>
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/.
>

> Tims-Air:~ tkeitt$ R -d lldb
>
> (lldb) target create "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/R"
>
> Current executable set to
> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/R' (x86_64).
>
> (lldb) run --vanilla
>
> error: process exited with status -1 (Error 1)
>
> Never happened before. Is this a known issue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> THK
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: [R-SIG-Mac] [Rd] R not running under lldb? (osx)

Tim Keitt
Thanks Simon. I'll probably just switch to rocker when needing to debug in
that case.

THK

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 6:51 PM Simon Urbanek <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Tim,
>
> as a security precaution Apple has disabled the ability to debug notarized
> applications*. It means any software distributed on macOS Catalina (and
> they may have retro-actively enabled it for recent updates of Mojave)
> cannot be run in a debugger.
>
> If you want to debug R, you have to use non-release binaries that are not
> notarized and install them by hand, e.g.:
>
> curl -L
> http://mac.r-project.org/high-sierra/R-4.0-branch/x86_64/R-4.0-branch.tar.gz
> | tar fxz - -C /
>
> Of course, this disables the Apple protections and thus is not recommended
> for casual users.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>
> * - more technical details: Apple requires notarization of any application
> that will be distributed via an Apple installer. Apple no longer allows
> installation of macOS applications that are not notarized. In order to
> obtain notarization, the application has to be fully signed, has to use
> hardened run-time and may not enable debugging entitlements. One part of
> the hardened run-time is that no debugger is allowed to attach to the
> application.
>

> > On 22/04/2020, at 8:59 AM, Tim Keitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I see:
> >
> > Tims-Air:~ tkeitt$ R --version
> >
> > R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29) -- "Holding the Windsock"
> >
> > Copyright (C) 2020 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> >
> > Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
> >

> > R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> >
> > You are welcome to redistribute it under the terms of the
> >
> > GNU General Public License versions 2 or 3.
> >
> > For more information about these matters see
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/licenses/.
> >

> > Tims-Air:~ tkeitt$ R -d lldb
> >
> > (lldb) target create
> "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/R"
> >
> > Current executable set to
> > '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/R' (x86_64).
> >
> > (lldb) run --vanilla
> >
> > error: process exited with status -1 (Error 1)
> >
> > Never happened before. Is this a known issue?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > THK

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: [R-SIG-Mac] [Rd] R not running under lldb? (osx)

Simon Urbanek
Tim,

sure, make sense (it's also easier to use ASAN and friends that way). The only issue is that it won't work for mcOS-specific bugs.

Cheers,
Simon