[R-SIG-Mac] Versions of spatial external software

[R-SIG-Mac] Versions of spatial external software

Roger Bivand
While sf/rgdal/rgeos etc. try to accommodate post-EOL versions of PROJ,
GDAL and GEOS, it is not correct to assume that full functionality is
available without (close to) current versions of these libraries and their
metadata files. In a recent thread, it was sugggested that users can rely
on full functionality when using very old versions of external software;
this is not correct and has never been offered.

In particular, it is now very important to migrate all users of static
builds to GDAL >= 3, PROJ >= 6. Current versions are GDAL 3.1.0 and PROJ
7.0.1. This is because of major breaking changes in coordinate reference
system representation, from Proj4 strings to WKT2_2019 strings. See
https://www.r-spatial.org/r/2020/03/17/wkt.html and
https://rgdal.r-forge.r-project.org/articles/CRS_projections_transformations.html

I know this hurts, but Proj4 strings are unsustainable going forward, and
developers of R spatial packages are not willing to keep things running
using a defunct representation. We have been pointing this out for at
least a year, so affected users and package maintainers should know
already.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.

Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Versions of spatial external software

Simon Urbanek
Roger,

as discussed at https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-May/013524.html <https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2020-May/013524.html> there is a well-defined way for package authors to request particular versions of macOS libraries they depend on If they so desire (I presume that’s why this discussion is on R-SIG-Mac and not R-SIG-Geo). In this case you are pretty much the only person who knows that your package has limited functionality with some versions as that information is not available in the package dependency entry.

Cheers,
Simon

> On May 23, 2020, at 10:50 PM, Roger Bivand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> While sf/rgdal/rgeos etc. try to accommodate post-EOL versions of PROJ, GDAL and GEOS, it is not correct to assume that full functionality is available without (close to) current versions of these libraries and their metadata files. In a recent thread, it was sugggested that users can rely on full functionality when using very old versions of external software; this is not correct and has never been offered.
>
> In particular, it is now very important to migrate all users of static builds to GDAL >= 3, PROJ >= 6. Current versions are GDAL 3.1.0 and PROJ 7.0.1. This is because of major breaking changes in coordinate reference system representation, from Proj4 strings to WKT2_2019 strings. See https://www.r-spatial.org/r/2020/03/17/wkt.html and https://rgdal.r-forge.r-project.org/articles/CRS_projections_transformations.html
>
> I know this hurts, but Proj4 strings are unsustainable going forward, and developers of R spatial packages are not willing to keep things running using a defunct representation. We have been pointing this out for at least a year, so affected users and package maintainers should know already.
>
> Roger
>
> --
> Roger Bivand
> Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
> voice: +47 55 95 93 55; e-mail: [hidden email]
> https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]