[R-SIG-Mac] Function Hints in Mac Dark Mode aren't visible

[R-SIG-Mac] Function Hints in Mac Dark Mode aren't visible

R-SIG-Mac mailing list
I noticed that with R 4.0.0 when running a Mac in Dark Mode that the Function Hints at the bottom of the Console and Editor windows become invisible.  I’ve attached screenshots in both light and dark mode so you can see the difference.

Thanks.

Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Function Hints in Mac Dark Mode aren't visible

Simon Urbanek
Andrew,

thanks! The colors in the GUI are a mix of app-defined and system colors, so there are cases there they will clash. I'll see if we can implement better handling of the dark mode.

Thanks,
Simon

> On 9/05/2020, at 3:19 AM, Andrew Swift via R-SIG-Mac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed that with R 4.0.0 when running a Mac in Dark Mode that the Function Hints at the bottom of the Console and Editor windows become invisible.  I’ve attached screenshots in both light and dark mode so you can see the difference.
>
> Thanks. <dark.png><light.png>

Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Function Hints in Mac Dark Mode aren't visible

Simon Urbanek
Andrew,

I have addressed it for the console and the document windows in the GUI revision 7839. You can download the updated GUI from
http://mac.r-project.org/

You still need to change your custom colors for the console and editor in the preferences. I'll see if we can at least provide defaults for both modes. Ideally, we'd have two color sets, but that would be a lot harder to implement.

Thanks,
Simon

> On 12/05/2020, at 9:25 AM, Simon Urbanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Andrew,
>
> thanks! The colors in the GUI are a mix of app-defined and system colors, so there are cases there they will clash. I'll see if we can implement better handling of the dark mode.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon
>

>> On 9/05/2020, at 3:19 AM, Andrew Swift via R-SIG-Mac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I noticed that with R 4.0.0 when running a Mac in Dark Mode that the Function Hints at the bottom of the Console and Editor windows become invisible.  I’ve attached screenshots in both light and dark mode so you can see the difference.
>>
>> Thanks. <dark.png><light.png>

Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Function Hints in Mac Dark Mode aren't visible

Tim Bates
Any chance you could make the Function Hints pane at the bottom of the Console taller?
It’s tiny on current MacBook screens.

Ideally just make it the same size/height as regular console text.

> On 12 May 2020, at 00:36, Simon Urbanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Andrew,
>
> I have addressed it for the console and the document windows in the GUI revision 7839. You can download the updated GUI from
> http://mac.r-project.org/
>
> You still need to change your custom colors for the console and editor in the preferences. I'll see if we can at least provide defaults for both modes. Ideally, we'd have two color sets, but that would be a lot harder to implement.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon
>

>> On 12/05/2020, at 9:25 AM, Simon Urbanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Andrew,
>>
>> thanks! The colors in the GUI are a mix of app-defined and system colors, so there are cases there they will clash. I'll see if we can implement better handling of the dark mode.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Simon
>>

>>> On 9/05/2020, at 3:19 AM, Andrew Swift via R-SIG-Mac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed that with R 4.0.0 when running a Mac in Dark Mode that the Function Hints at the bottom of the Console and Editor windows become invisible.  I’ve attached screenshots in both light and dark mode so you can see the difference.
>>>
>>> Thanks. <dark.png><light.png>

Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Function Hints in Mac Dark Mode aren't visible

Simon Urbanek
Tim

are you taking about the box size or the text size? The purpose of your request is not clear to me since increasing the box size doesn't make the text bigger. The box is sized such that it can just fit two lines of text in case you need a wrap. Also it is the same in the document windows as well as the console, so is your reason console-specific or general?

Thanks,
Simon